Sunday, January 07, 2007

 

Happy 2007

I resolved to post a lot more often. My colleague Susan Eastman is busy revising our TV program strategy textbook this year, so it's on my mind almost daily. Being editor of the Journal of Radio Studies is winding down with the handoff to the new editor later this year, and my duties as grad director are settling down as the program has marked its first semester.

TV programming has changed so much over the years. The audience has more control and the networks have more competition. Viewing is up but shares are down. The days of a single show captivating all viewers are nearly gone. Only shows like American Idol still draw huge ratings.

TiVo rules my household. We care when shows are scheduled but not very much. We watch more cable series like The Closer and Monk.

I read this week that TV is coming to automobiles, though I hope its less distracting than cell phones have been. I suspect that radio stations will need to think hard about delivering a streaming feed to stay relevant to folks stuck in traffic.

The portability of video media is about to catch everyone by surprise, especially if it can be delivered to cell phones as supported by advertising. Audio and still pictures have had their day. It's all about video now, and the watershed event was the execution of Saddam Hussein (or was it the uncensored release of Dick in a Box?)

My take is that change comes faster than the "change is incremental" crowd wants to admit. A lot of observers continue to rail about the slow change in habits. I argue that innovations are not as slow in coming than they think. 5 years ago I heard that TiVo was 10 years away. But it was only 5 years away. The portable video revolution is maybe 3 years away, tops.

That's my view.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?